Welcome to the Royal Texans Blog

The Royal Texans blog is all about our family and the people we love. It's a little crazy being a Mommy of two lil' guys, but I eventually post everything so check back often for updates on Oliver and Miles!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The things we do for our kids...

I have been reading the weather forecasts for days and dreading the impending snow storm. I grew up in Salt Lake, therefore you might think I would enjoy the snow a bit more. And I didn't necessarily mind it when I lived there. I remember walking around in skirts without tights in the winter plenty of times and not thinking anything of it. But now, now that I have moved to Dallas, a place that is NOT supposed to be very cold, a place that is NOT supposed to get much snow, I have become weak. When we were in Utah last month I was literally freezing the entire time there and I spent as little time outdoors as possible. It may very well be that I just don't have the cold weather clothes any longer to make myself comfortable.

But today, today I spent two hours outdoors in the snow all to make my little guy happy. Believe it or not, it actually took some convincing on my end. I think I have a big influence on the little guy and when I say I don't like the snow, he internalizes it and thinks he shouldn't like the snow either. So today, I bit my tongue and said I wanted to go play out in the snow. After some protesting declaring that the snow would be far too cold, he finally agreed to go out. In all honesty, it may have something to do with him not wanting to be left inside alone whilst I went out to have all the fun...I may have mentioned something like that to him. So we put on our layers, and headed outside.

Oliver played just outside the garage for a while, running his tractors through the snow.


I suggested we go in the back yard and make a snowman, but he quickly found the patio while I attempted the snowman. He didn't want to walk in the snow. Who could blame him with rain boots instead of snow boots? Poor kid.


He was content to play on the porch, but the snow wasn't sticky enough for the snowman, so I decided to use our shovel to make a track for him to walk in so he could walk around the yard.



He really ended up liking the track and worked with me the entire time I was digging it. He kept insisting that we were not playing, we were working...which he very much likes to do. Before I knew it, we had been outside for two hours and had missed lunch and surprisingly, I think I may have had just as much fun as he did!

Just before we went inside for lunch, we walked down our driveway to see the park behind our house.

There is the park on the left from our alley.

Even though I don't especially like being in it, I'll admit, snow really is beautiful.

We ended up having a great time and fortunately were able to stay mostly dry under our outer layers, despite our lack of snow apparel. We warmed up nicely with some Sneaky Chef Tomato Soup. Yumm.

3 comments:

Katie said...

wow, can't believe all the snow! I think in the 15 years I lived in Dallas, we only had a trace of snow one winter, which of course brought every thing to a standstill! :) looks like you guys really had a fun day.

Robynn said...

I LOVE our snowy days! So glad you and Oliver got to enjoy it. I walked out to get the mail yesterday and thought, Oh I wish I had little ones to go out and play with. I miss those 5 Thiot kids who grew up and moved away. Love, Rob

Lori said...

You have more snow than we do right now. It has rained alot here, but I got to enjoy some sunshine in St. George a warm 63 compared to our 43 at home. So when it snows like that there, does the whole town shut down?

--------------->Click Older Posts right up here ▲▲▲▲

Oh come on, if you've read to the bottom of the page, then I'm sure you want to see more! :)

Blog Archive -- use this menu to see older posts