I registered Oliver for a sibling class at the hospital where we will have his little brother. The idea of the class was to prepare the older siblings for how it will be when their new little brother or sister arrives. Oliver enjoyed decorating a picture for the baby. He enjoyed watching the real babies on a movie. But when it came time to practice swaddling and holding a baby doll, Oliver was not having it. He flat out wouldn't do it because "he was a boy, and boys don't play with dolls". How he got that idea I really don't know. This isn't the first time he has told me dolls are for girls, not boys. I tried to buy him one to have for after the baby arrives and he quickly nixed that. I have intentionally tried to be gender neutral with him and let him explore his own interests. I didn't mind at all when he loved playing kitchen, or when his favorite color was pink. I never told him dolls are for girls, so where did he get the idea? I guess things may be a little more encoded than I thought. Interesting.
My favorite part of the class was the labor and delivery tour. This baby will be born in a different hospital than Oliver was, so it was nice to see everything before the big day. I forgot my camera, so here is the picture that Oliver made and his certificate.

No comments:
Post a Comment